An Introduction to our School
Southern Road Primary School is situated in the London Borough of Newham. It is a large primary school of nearly 700 pupils, which also includes a 120 part-time place nursery. It was formed in April 1990 through the amalgamation of Southern Road Infant and Southern Road Junior schools.
The school serves a diverse multi-cultural and multi-faith community and there are some thirty different languages represented within our pupil population.
The school is housed in two modern buildings, each with its own dining area and hall. In addition to classrooms Southern Road has an art room, a library and a sensory room. There have been some exciting building developments, find more information on our building work page.
The Ethos and Values of our School:
- To equip all learners with the necessary skills needed to develop their
own interests / personal choices and challenges.
- To provide a fun, safe environment where all learners feel valued. Where
they can share their successes and failures without fear.
- To embrace and celebrate diversity and promote cohesion between and
within the communities of our school.
At Southern Road we:
- Create a stimulating and attractive environment, which supports learning.
- Provide access to a broad, balanced curriculum, which offers pace, challenge, continuity, and progression.
- Encourage pupils in their learning through active participation, differentiated teaching, effective assessment, feedback and target setting.
- Extend pupils fully by encouraging perseverance and aiming for maximum success in all things.
- Support pupils in developing a sense of right and wrong through example and a school code of conduct.
- Celebrate pupil’s success and share it within the school and the wider
- Ensure equality of opportunity underpins everything we do. Develop a sense of community where all pupils, parents, staff and others feel valued and respected.