Nursery Parents information
‘All about myself’
This half term our topic is ‘All about myself’ below are the core books we will be focusing in on during the next 6 weeks
The Early Years Framework consist of 7 learning areas which are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development (PSED)
- Communication and Language (CLL)
- Physical Development (PD)
- Mathematical Development
- Understanding of the World (UW)
- Expressive Arts and Design (EAD)
Below is a brief explanation of what your child will be learning in each of the 7 areas and how you can help them at home.
In this area children will be encouraged to carry out the following activities:
- Begin to play and show interests in playing alongside each other
- Begin to form a special friendship with another child
- Be encouraged to separate from main carer with support and encouragement from a familiar adult
- Expresses own preferences and interests
- Seeks comfort from familiar adults when needed
- Shows understanding and cooperates with some boundaries and routines
Communication, Language and Literacy
In this area children will
- Listen with interest to the noises adults make when they read stories
- Recognise and respond to many familiar sounds e.g. turning to a knock on the door, looking at or going to the door
- Shows interest in play with songs or rhymes
At home can you read to your child as much as you can?
In this area children will lean to
- Run safely outdoors and in an open space
- Squat with steadiness to rest or play with object on the ground, and rises to feet without using hands
- Climb confidently and is beginning to pull themselves up on nursery play climbing equipment
- Begin to kick a large ball
- Be encouraged to Turn pages in a book, sometimes several at once
- Clearly communicates their need for toilet
At home can you encourage your child to dress and undress independently.
Children will be encouraged to mark make and give small explanations on what it means. They will also learn some rhymes and how to make a rhyming string.
At home children can be encouraged to mark make where ever possible, eg: writing shopping list with you, writing their name, writing cards on occasions
- Children will learn how to use number in all play activities, they are also learning to Select a small number of objects from a group when asked, e.g. ‘please give me one’, ‘please give me two.’
- Recite some number names in sequence.
- Creates and experiment with symbols and marks representing ideas of number.
- Begin to make comparisons between quantities.
- Use some language of quantities, such as ‘more’ and ‘a lot’.
Understanding the World
Children will explore and begin to
- Have a sense of own immediate family and relations
- In pretend play, imitates everyday actions and events from own family and cultural background e.g. making and drinking tea.
- Begin to have their own friends
Learn that they have similarities and differences that connect them to, and distinguish them from, others
Expressive Arts and Design.
Children will learn few familiar songs. They will begin to
- Join in singing favourite songs
- Create sounds by banging, shaking, tapping or blowing
- Show an interest in the way musical instruments sound
- Experiment with blocks, colours and marks
- Beginning to use representation to communicate e.g. drawing a line and saying ‘That’s me.’
- Beginning to make-believe by pretending.
Please encourage your child to say ‘Good morning /afternoon’ when they are greeted at the front gate and to say goodbye when they leave. It is important that you child feels confident to talk to all adults around the Nursery.
It is very important that your child attends nursery everyday.. if they unable to attend due to an appointment, please ensure that you let us know.
Please ensure that when you come out of the nursery building, you hold your child’s hand. This will avoid children running out of the gate on their own down the street or into the road.
If your child does a piece of work or says something amazing at home, please can you share this with the class teacher. You can even give us some writing, photos or anything that your child does at home. Can you please also label all of your child’s clothing and bring a spare pair of clothes.
Parents will be asked for donations on a weekly basis , this is to buy snacks and messy play items to aid your child’s learning.
Some Rhymes to sing with your children.