All children in Newham are currently entitled to a free school meal, copies of the menu can be found below. Please click on the image below to view the School menu. It will open in a new window and you will need Adobe PDF reader that can be downloaded from Adobe website.
Should you wish to provide your child with a packed lunch as an alternative to this free school meal, please look at the guidance below in order to prepare a suitable meal.
Lunch is an important meal for children and research suggests that a healthy lunch impacts upon their education in a positive way. The following guidance aims to offer ideas and inspiration to create healthier lunches that children will enjoy. It also outlines those foods which are not acceptable for packed lunches at Southern Road Primary School
A healthy packed lunch should include:
- A good portion of starchy food, for example: a wholegrain roll, tortilla wrap, chapatti, pitta bread, pasta or rice salad
- A portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, for example: chicken, ham, beef, tuna, eggs, beans, hummus
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables, for example: an apple, a satsuma, a handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks, a small tub of fruit salad, a small tub of raisins
- A portion of semi-skimmed milk or other dairy food, for example: reduced fat cheese, yoghurt or fromage frais
- A drink, for example: fruit juice, a bottle of water, semi-skimmed milk, a yoghurt drink
As we have gained a Healthy School’s accreditation, we would not expect to see any sweets or fizzy drinks. Healthy desserts and snacks are preferred.
The key to a healthy packed lunch is getting the right balance of a wide variety of foods. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Try different breads or other starchy foods for variety
- Use spread sparingly and go for reduced calories mayonnaise
- Include brightly coloured fruit and vegetables Add salad to sandwiches and chopped vegetables to salads
- Try a variety of different drinks, for example: a carton of unsweetened fruit juice, a bottle of water, a carton of semi-skimmed milk, a yoghurt or milk drink
- Having a healthy packed lunch does not mean giving up all the foods children enjoy. Foods such as a slice of malt loaf, banana bread, small handful of popcorn or a fruit scone can be included from time to time for variety and appeal
Golden Tickets are awarded to those children who consistently bring a healthy lunch box to school. It would be great to see even more children at Southern Road eating healthy packed lunches!
More information can be found on the following websites: