Role of our school governors
Our Governors have an important role in school. The challenge and support they offer help to move Southern Road forward. All Governors have signed to declare their business and pecuniary interests. Governors are welcome to attend any committee meetings which usually take place before the main meetings.
Their main work is to meet, talk and make decisions about:
- Setting the school vision and strategic priorities
- Raising standards of achievement
- Holding the school to account for the performance of staff and pupils
- Making sure money is spent wisely
- Appointing senior staff
- Improving the school environment
- Making sure all pupils have access to all education opportunities.
- Keep parents informed about their work
- Support school activities
- Visit the school on behalf of the governing body
- Promote their school in the community.
The types of governor on a school governing body are:
- parent governors, chosen by parents of children at the school
- co-opted governors, chosen by the school governing body
- authority governors, put forward by us the council
- staff governors, chosen by school staff, including the head teacher
If you would like any further information about the work of a governing board or how to become a governor, please visit Newham’s website.
Southern Road Primary School Governors